Saturday, June 7, 2008

I survived Girls Camp!!!!!

Yes, I survived Girls Camp, and really loved it. I know it was meant for the girls(YW) but I got sooooo much out of it. We went about 1 1/2 south of Oklahoma City, i think it was Lyndsey OK, to a girl scout camp. The weather was so unbelievably hot and sticky, and we had to walk a distance to get anywhere, but I had a great time, i'm so blessed to be over a great group of girls. On the second night we had a faith walk, were we hiked into a field clearing and turned off our flashlights and my breath was taken away by the stars. Never in my life had i witnessed something like that, i really don't think i could describe it properly or do it any justice. It only got better as our eyes adjusted to the darkness. It was truly gorgeous.Then Pres. Bartlett spoke of Lehi's dream and the importance of the iron rod, and the beautiful imagery of the lovely account. Then it was time for the faithwalk, and our stake leaders gave us the option of being blindfolded (like the girls) or not. I chose to be blindfolded so i could have the full experience. So they lead us into the woods and had constructed an iron rod (out of plastic pipe) . I have to admit that i was a little nervous, everyone was silent and when it was my turn i started walking and grabbed onto the rod at my left, and held on tight(i was not going to get lost in the middle of the woods.) then i took a couple of steps and felt a little hand take mine and whisper that the was a step right in front of me, then tell me i was doing a great job and to keep going forward. then at every point that there was a step or whole i would feel those hands grab mine an I later found out that there was someone standing quietly every couple of feet to help me if i needed it. The symbolism was amazing when i had time to reflect. It reminds me that the savior is here every step of the way, he places people in our lives to help us along the way, whether we can see them or not. We were finally lead to a little gathering in the middle of the woods(it was a beautiful little chapel surrounded by trees and ever was made out of trees so you were technically still out side) but anyway they directed me to me seat ( still blindfolded) and finally when everyone was in , they instructed us to remove our blindfolds and in front of us they had cover a big tree with white lights (to represent the tree of life) then Bro. Garrett spoke about the dream, it was truly beautiful. Then the next morning we got up for a 7am hike, and i actually enjoyed it so much. I loved having the opportunity to wake up in the morning before it got hot and go outside and pray or meditate or read. It was surprisingly relaxing. The hardest part was defiantly the heat. It was well into the 90s all week. We had time to go to the lake though and canoe. We also got to do archery(which i'd never done before, and had the scars to prove it.) I discovered that i love archery. It was defiantly a week to remember. Rob took 2 weeks off of work and watched the kids while i was gone. He is so amazing with them, i had no doubts the kids would be great while i was gone. Rob did say that he now has a better appreciation for what i do everyday.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That's awesome. I'd never have thought to do those things to teach about the iron rod and the tree of life! I bet it's something you and the girls will never forget!