Monday, August 1, 2011
Feelin hot hot hot
It has been unbearably hot this summer. I spent all of July at my parents house in Branson, which is usually about 10 degrees cooler than it is here in Oklahoma. That isn't saying much since today the high here was 113! I feel so bad that my kiddos cant even go enjoy the summer playing outside because its just too hot. It been a funny past couple days. My parents rode back from Branson to Oklahoma with me, which was so amazing! We made fairly good time, and had fun along the way! When got into Oklahoma around 9:30 and walked into a 100 degree house. It was hotter inside than it was outside. I was so frustrated. I called the maintenance office and they paged someone to call me back. We decided to put the kids back in the air conditioned van and let them finish their movies while we waited to see how long it would take to get someone to fix it. The handy man finally arrived around 11pm and promptly fixed it We figured it might only take a few hours to cool it down and stayed in the van for another half an hour. We came in and got the kiddos tucked in, found some fans...and the house was cool by morning. The next morning I realized I'd left my military id in a swim bag that was left at my parents house. Luckily the gate guard issued me a 72hour pass. This morning we debated whether to have my parents overnight it or just go get a new id. I decided it wouldn't be that big of an ordeal to just go get another one. The hardest part was waiting 2 hours. Yes, I had all three children with me and we waited those 2 hours. We then gladly went home and played and ate lunch, then ventured out again to get school supplies. We started at my favorite store, Target. Those who know me, know I love Target. I found that the school supplies were a bit over priced there so we headed over to the dreaded Wal-mart. Those who know me also know I hate Wal-mart. It brings out the ghetto no matter where you visit. Long story short we were able to find all of their supplies and headed out to brave the heat and make it home. When he made it to our van I was scrambling to get the car cooled off and get the babies out of the sun when this sweet lady comes up and says" I've been in your shoes, let me help you so you can get those kiddos out of this heat." I was so touched. She put all of the rest of our bags in the trunk and returned our cart. That sweet woman made my day. Her simple act of kindness and charity spoke volumes to me. I'm sure she would have rather got in her air conditioned car and drove away, but she went the extra mile...and made my day that much easier. There are angels all around us if we but open our eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a simple yet far reaching act of kindness. I have to admit after you commented how ghetto Wal-Mart is I was worried the story was going to be about how she offered to help but walked away with your stuff! SOOO glad that wasn't the case. There are kind people all around.
Wow how sweet of that lady!
Post a Comment