Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Porter vs. Tree Nut Allergy



So we're all starting to put it together. Over the past year and a half we have discovered that Porter has an allergic reaction to mangos. Any time he eats or drinks anything with mango he breaks out in horrible hives. Well last months he had a case of hives again and the doctor wrote it off as a symptom of strep throat (which he happened to test positive for). Tonight when I was putting his pajamas on him I noticed his entire back was covered in horrible hives. I started replaying everything he had eaten and the only thing he had eaten quite a bit of were pistachios. We had prepared a package for Rob, and Porter had been snacking on quite a bit of pistachios. So I started searing to see if there could be a connection. Sure enough, mango, pistachio and cashew are all in the same tree-nut family. Who knew? We sure never would've put that connection together. I'm taking him into his pediatrician tomorrow to see what she thinks, but we may have solved the mystery.

No comments: